Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Banana Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting


I always buy bananas at the store, especially when we go to Sam's.  Stephen and I don't really eat them too often, but I love to put them in smoothies and every once in a while I feel compelled to just eat a banana.  Needless to say, they always go bad before we eat them all.  I shouldn't say bad though because overripe bananas make the best breads and desserts! 

It has been a long week already, but finals are almost over and I am so ready! I decided to take a break today from studying to bake these delicious treats for my friends at school.  I was really at the point of mental exhaustion and don't think I could put anymore info in my brain.  I think it's safe to say we deserve these after the week we've had.  Especially since they include cream cheese frosting!

Banana Bars

1/2 cup butter (softened)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
3 overripe bananas
1 5 oz. carton of plain Greek yogurt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 package cream cheese (softened)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons milk
1/4 cup butter (softened)
3 cups powdered sugar

 Cream together butter and sugar

 Add 2 eggs

 Then add Greek yogurt, vanilla, and bananas.  

 Combine baking soda, salt, and flour then add to the mixture.  

 Grease a 9x13 pan with butter and pour mixture into pan.

 Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Let the bars cool completely.  Combine ingredients for frosting and spread it over the bars (sorry, I ran out of light and energy to take pictures at this point.)

Enjoy!
These are a lot like banana bread, but with a more cake-like texture and of course, the frosting! I definitely recommend them and they're really easy!

1 comment: