Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Chocolate Layer Dessert

I had such a great time with my family last weekend.  All the cousins, aunts, uncles and my grandparents were in town for the Wagner Family Reunion and it was so fun to catch up with everyone!  It was especially crazy to see how much my little cousins Madelyn and Mia had grown up.  I hadn't seen them since my wedding we had a wonderful time hanging out.  I just love those girls!  We all had a great time being together, thanks to everyone who traveled to Tulsa so we could be together!

Anyway, I made this dessert while everyone was here.  It's good, it's classic, it's simple and always a hit.  This is actually Stephen's favorite dessert and he will tell you that I don't make it nearly enough. 

In my rush to get everything done last week, I didn't take pictures of the process but it's so simple all you do is make each layer and assemble it! 

Layer 1 - The crust!

2 cups flour
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1 1/2 sticks butter

Preheat oven to 350 and spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray.  Melt the butter, add the pecans and flour then stir.  Pat the mixture evenly into the bottom of the dish.  Bake 20 minutes then allow to cool completely before adding other layers.

Layer 2 - CreamWhip 

8 oz. cream cheese
1 1/2 cups whipped cream (or cool whip)
1 cup powdered sugar

Add all ingredients together.  Make sure cream cheese is softened at room temperature.  When the crust is cool, layer in the mixture.

Layer 3 - Chocolate! or Lemon or Raspberry or Blueberry, or anything else you can imagine.

3 small pudding mixes (I used 2 chocolate and 1 vanilla)
4 cups cold milk

Again, mix together until pudding is formed then add to the other layers

Layer 4 - Whipped Cream

2 1/2 cups whipped cream and some sugar to taste or cool whip

Top it off with the remaining cool whip or whipped cream then add chopped pecans to the top if you like.  Stephen also like to add heath bites, just add them right before you serve it or they get soggy.

Note: Heavy whipping cream doubles in size when whipped.  So 2 cups of whipping cream will make the 4 cups of whipped cream you need for the dessert.  Or you can use a large container of cool whip and divide it for the 2 layers. 

Keep it in the refrigerator until you're ready to serve!  Enjoy!

The Family
Me, Melissa, Madeline

Love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment