Sunday, April 17, 2011

Pizza Pockets


Stephen and I have been so so busy the last few weeks... more busy than usual.  The meetings at the church have consumed all our time and we haven't been eating dinner until really late, which makes me pretty grumpy at times.  So, since I had a few hours at home today I wanted to make something that we could eat during the week.  My initial thought was lasagna (I've been wanting to make that for a while) but that didn't seem too car or on the go friendly, so I thought of these pizza pockets.

I used to make these often when I was younger, you can add your favorite pizza toppings or even make them with a breakfast filling.  They do freeze well too, I am usually against freezing anything! But I guess I will make an exception for these.

Hope you enjoy these, I know they will make perfect meals for us this week!

For the dough:

1/2 cup water
4 teaspoons yeast
3/4 cup warm milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon salt
4 1/2 cups flour (I used 2 cups of wheat flour and 2 1/2 of white flour)

Mix and knead dough; let rise for 1 hour.

Then pick your favorite pizza toppings, I used zucchini, bell peppers, mushrooms, spinach, mozzarella cheese, and pizza sauce.


Chop 1 zucchini, 1/2 bell pepper, 1 cup mushrooms

Saute for 5 -10 minutes (until vegetables become slightly tender)
Season it up with some Italian seasonings and parsley. 
  
Pour about 3/4 jar of pizza sauce into a bowl.  Add some burger if you like
(Start our with about 1/2 jar and add more if you need it)

Chop 2 big handfuls of spinach and add to the sauce

Add the sauteed vegetables and 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Mix it all together and you have a wonderful filling, pretty healthy too! One note about the filling, you want it to be pretty thick, it the filling has too much sauce and is too thin, it will run out of the pockets. 

Now, back to your dough... form it into a log.

Divide into 18 pieces


Roll each piece into an oval

Place the filling on the lower half, leave some room around the edge to seal the pocket.
Form a pocket with the dough.

Pinch the edges closed. Make sure there is a tight seal.
Place pockets on a greased baking sheet.  Brush egg whites over the pockets before baking.
Check to make sure the edges are sealed once more, I usually pinch the edges once more before baking.  You will probably still have a little sauce that comes out but it's ok :) 

Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes until golden brown. 

4 comments:

  1. These look amazing, Michelle. I am definitely going to try these out in the future. Thanks for sharing. Love you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try these! They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this over at Tasty Kitchen. I love that I can utilize wheat flour. Luckily, I have most of the ingredients on hand so I will be making these for dinner!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you cook these and then freeze them or freeze them uncooked? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete