Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Bierocks

Hmm, what are bierocks you are probably wondering?... Well this is a food that takes me back to Germany, not that I have ever been there but it is a German food, my family has German roots and that is how I learned to make these.  I remember making these when I was a little girl with my grandma.  A bierock is a cabbage, burger, and onion filled bread pocket, with some other stuff in there too of course.  I really like them, but others like them too so I don't think they are just a food you like since you've grown up with it.  So if you're feeling adventurous and want to make something new, this is it!  They do freeze well (after you bake them) and make such a quick lunch when you're on the go!  

Dough:

4 cups flour (I used half wheat and half white all purpose flour)
2 teaspoons yeast
1 cup milk
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs


Filling:

1 head of cabbage (small to medium size)
1 pound hamburger (or vegetarian burger substitute)
1 onion
4 cloves garlic
1 cup cheese (optional)
1/2 can sauerkraut (optional)
3-4 Tablespoons butter
a pinch of garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste


Step 1: Mix the dough and let it rise for 1 - 1 1/2 hours. When the dough is about 30 minutes from the end of rising start on the filling.  (You can also break this up into a 2 day project and make the filling one day then the dough the next, it's what my grandma prefers to do).

Step 2: Chop the onion and garlic and saute in 3-4 tablespoons of butter.  Once it's semi-translucent add the burger.  Once it is close to being done, add the cabbage and cook until the cabbage is wilted, about 10 minutes.  The sauerkraut is totally optional too, I love it but I know most people don't.  Add the cheese and some salt and pepper, then it's all about tasting! It's what I remember doing the most with my grandma, we tasted and added some more seasoning then tasted again... and again.
 Step 3: When the dough is done rising, separate into about 18-24 pieces (depending on how big you want the pockets to be in the end).  Shape the piece of dough into a circle. 
 Then roll it out.
 Place a spoon full of filling in the center of the pocket.  I use an ice cream scoop.
 Pinch two edges together like a taco
 Then bring the other 2 edges to the center
 Pinch the edges closed (you can shape these like squares or circles, whatever you like, I did both)
 Flip it over onto a greased baking sheet
 Let them rise again for about 30 minutes.  Then bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Move to a cooling rack and enjoy while warm.  I like to dip them in ketchup, Stephen prefers ranch, others like something spicy.  Give them a try, I think you will love them too!

Enjoy!

1 comment: