Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Wheat Grinding

One of my favorite childhood memories is wheat harvest! I remember going to my grandparents farm in Kansas and helping make sandwiches and pies during the week for all the guys who were out working in the fields... good memories.  My aunt is a wonderful bread baker and grinds wheat from harvest every year for flour.  She would always share some flour with me but lately I've been needing a lot more flour and the wheat flour in the stores just does not compare.  So this year, my family brought me some wheat from harvest and I finally got around to grinding it yesterday! I now have wheat flour to last me probably a year and I am really excited.  So here is the process of how we ground the wheat into flour.
Beautiful wheat!
The wheat grinder we used.  A sweet friend used to grind all her flour and bake all her bread for her family, she's pretty awesome. 
We poured the wheat into the top of the grinder.
And the flour comes out the bottom.

I'm excited for all the breads and new recipes to try with my flour.  More recipes to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment