Friday, January 28, 2011

Orange Ricotta Cookies with Milk Chocolate


Wow, what a week it's been, school is definitely rolling again and it has been a busy busy week!  Today is so beautiful and I decided to take a little break from the crazy pace this week, and before it gets crazy again this weekend to bake some cookies.  I found this recipe this morning on my favorite cooking blog, Two Peas and Their Pod.  She has some great recipes and ideas and she is vegetarian so I find a lot of recipes I like on her blog.  Our new pastor is arriving this weekend and we are having cookies tomorrow night at church for a little get-together.  I think these will be a hit!

These cookies have a cake-like texture, are very moist, and the orange glaze and chocolate drizzle just take them to the next level.  One thing to note, don't melt the butter but just soften it.  I meant to just soften it, but time got away from me and the butter softened a bit more than I would have liked.  I think this will give the cookies better height and keep them from spreading out (I had some that did that...)    I would definitely make them again and hope you will try them out too!  Let me know how they go!

Orange Ricotta Cookies with Milk Chocolate

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 cups ricotta cheese
3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 orange, zested

2 cups powdered sugar
3 T. orange juice

1/2 cup chocolate chips (melted)
 
Combine dry ingredients and set aside.  In another bowl (or mixer, I have been enjoying mine!) beat together butter and sugar, then add eggs, ricotta, orange juice, and the zest of one orange.  Add the dry ingredients and combine together.

Spoon the dough (about 1 tablespoon) onto a lightly greased baking sheet.  Bake about 10-12 minutes.  Remove onto cooling racks and allow cookies to cool completely. 

Once cookies have cooled, combine the powdered sugar and orange juice to form a glaze.  Spread the glaze over the cooled cookies and allow it to set up, about 5 minutes.  Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave for 1-1 1/2 minutes stopping every  20 - 30 seconds to stir.  Don't let the chocolate get too hot.  Let it sit for about a minute then pour the melted chocolate into a ziploc bag.  Cut a very small hole (did I mention very small?) in the corner of the bag and drizzle the chocolate onto the cookies.  Allow the cookies to set up.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment