Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough


Pizza is one of Stephen and my favorite things to make.  I especially like to make my own dough and I take any chance I can get to add whole wheat to something.  This dough is very good and easy to make.  Make sure you have a couple hours to make the dough before you are wanting to eat.  This recipe is for a medium pizza, about 1 1/2 pounds.

Pizza Dough

1 c. warm water (80-90 degrees)
1 t. honey
1 t. salt
1 T. olive oil
2 c. bread flour
1 c. whole wheat flour
2 t. yeast

Place ingredients into a bread machine in the order listed.  Select Dough cycle.  About 20 minutes later or when you hear the tone to add ingredients, I like to add minced garlic, Italian seasoning, and a little grated Parmesan cheese to the dough.    When the dough is done rising, just punch it down and you are ready to roll it out and make your favorite pizza.

Note: I forgot to add this earlier, but I think this part is very important.  Many times homemade pizza dough is gooey in the center when baked (at least this has happened to me many times). We have found that baking the pizza on a upsidedown cookie sheet or pizza pan somehow fixes this or if you have a stone you can use that too. (not the flat cookie sheet, the ones with sides).  The crust is good even in the center, and after all, the crust is my favorite part!

Visit Stephen's blog for the finishing touches.  carliletablefor2.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment