Friday, January 21, 2011

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies


My first week of school is complete, not that it was too stressful having 2 days off, but it's always a challenge to get going again.  Stephen has been wanting me to make these oatmeal raisin cookies that were in the last issue of Taste of Home.  I'm not a big fan of oatmeal raisin cookies, but I enjoy baking things that other people want too, especially my wonderful husband!  I felt especially inclined to bake these cookies today after Stephen surprised me with a KitchenAid mixer!  It is so beautiful and I just love using it!  I have wanted one of these for quite some time with all the bread I bake, I know it will be wonderful for kneading and mixing bread! 


I have to say, these cookies are really good!  It's a good recipe, the cookies don't spread out too much and they are very soft and chewy (who doesn't love that?)  So give them a try even if they aren't your favorite cookie, or you can make them for a friend!

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

2 cups raisins
2 cups boiling water
3/4 c. shortening
1 c. sugar
3 eggs
2-1/2 c. all-purpose flour
2 c. oats
1-1/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 c. chopped pecans (toasted)
Zest of 1 lemon (the lemon zest adds great contrast and an unexpected flavor)

Directions: Chop raisins and place in a bowl.  Pour boiling water over and cover. Let the raisins stand for 5 minutes, then drain and set aside.  Chop the pecans and place on a baking sheet, toast the pecans in the oven at 350 for about 5 minutes, be careful to not let them burn! In a large bowl, cream together shortening and sugar.  Beat in eggs.  Combine the flour, oats, baking soda and salt.  Gradually add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and mix well.  Stir in pecans, raisins, and the zest of one lemon.

Use a small ice cream scoop (the kind with the release) to drop dough onto greased cookie sheets.  Flatten with a glass or with your fingers.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 7 minutes until the bottom of the cookies are just brown.  Remove and let cool on wire racks. 

Hope you enjoy these, I know Stephen will when he gets home!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so jealous of your Kitchen-Aid!! And these cookies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete