Sunday, October 23, 2011

Roasted Vegetable Twice Baked Potatoes


Twice baked potatoes have always been one of my childhood favorite foods.  My mom always paired them with meatloaf and it was always a great combination for Sabbath dinners or Christmas.  A few months ago I had this twice baked potato variation, made by a good friend from church, and instantly knew I needed to give it a shot.  It's such a healthy side dish and I love the added vegetables.  The roasted vegetables add a whole other dimension of flavor that is great!  You can use any vegetables you want and I used broccoli, carrots, and spinach.  Squash, zucchini, cauliflower or anything else would probably be good too!

Lessons learned: I used 6 medium size potatoes and ended up with too much vegetable to potato ratio so next time I will use 1 broccoli and 2 carrots for 6 potatoes.  

 Wash the vegetables

 Chop into similar size pieces for even roasting

 Wash and bake the potatoes (350 degrees for about an hour)

 Roast the vegetable for about 20-30 minutes at 375.

 Put the veggies into a food processor and blend until smooth

 I added some spinach since I try to find some way to add spinach to everything... well almost everything :)

 Cut the tops of the potatoes off, scoop out the potato and make into mashed potatoes.  Add milk, butter, sour cream, or whatever you like to add.  Then fold in the veggies until it is all well mixed and creamy.  Also add some seasonings to taste, I used garlic powder, cumin, creole seasoning, salt, and pepper.

Scoop the mixture back into the potato skins and bake for another 30 minutes at 350 before eating.
Make sure your mixture has a nice creaminess to it so they don't end up dry. 

Enjoy the new variation on twice baked potatoes, maybe try them during the holidays for a healthy new twist on a side dish!

1 comment:

  1. I think I've just stumbled onto the most amazing blog ever!!! Are you vegan? Or just vegetarian? Anways I pinned your eggplant/red pepper sauce and finally checked it out. As I'm scrolling through your recipes I'm wanting to make everything!!! I stopeed eating meat about two weeks ago, and I'm trying to go vegan gradually..lets just say I'll be making plenty of your recipes and adding them to my blog..also I'll be telling all my awesome bloggy friends about you!!!! Can't wait to try all your yummy recipes! Come check out my blog over at MrsBGreenJeans.blogspot.com! I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete